LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONWe train individuals to have a working knowledge of an aquatic environment, prevention of hazards in an aquatic area, and potential lifesaving skills. The course also includes certifications in CPR for the Healthcare Provider, Heartsaver First Aid, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), Emergency Oxygen Administration.
- Candidates MUST be 16 of age before the start of class (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- Candidates must be able to complete: 500 yard swim, 2 minute tread - legs only, surface dive - head and feet first to deepest part of the pool, retrieve a 10 lb. brick from the bottom of the pool, and swim underwater for a minimum of 15 ft.
- 100% attendance is mandatory (NON-NEGOTIABLE). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities.
- Candidates must be free from physical and mental impairments that would limit them from accomplishing specific tasks. Tasks include visual acuity, various audio ranges, and the ability to lift, unaided, 50 lbs.
- Candidates must complete 2 hours of shadowing one of our trained lifeguards to complete "course requirements" in the list of requirements for the class.
UPCOMING BASIC LIFEGUARD CLASS SESSIONS
All lifeguard classes included CPR/AED/First Aid/Oxygen certification. Orientation night is required attendance in order to take the remaining dates of the class.
June 28-August 9
Sundays; 12:00 pm-7:00 pm; Orientation: June 28, 2:00 pm-4:00 pm
Rates: Facility Members: $150
Program Members: $200
UPCOMING LIFEGUARD RENEWAL/CROSSOVER CLASS SESSIONS
To be eligible for a Renewal class, you must have a current YMCA Lifeguard Certification. If you have another certification, you will be instructed in the Crossover class material. Renewal/Crossover classes do not have an orientation night.
Session I: May 4, 6, 8 (CPR, FA, Oxy included)
4:15 pm-10:00 pm
Session II: December 28 (CPR, FA, Oxy included)
10:00 am-4:30 pm
Rates: Facility Members: $90
Program Members: $90
Please contact the Oldham County Family YMCA at 502.222.9358.